Saturday, July 24, 2010

Is there a scientific name for assumptionitis?

I made up an illness, and I want to know if it has a real name. I know that everyone has fallen victim to assuming something. But is there a scientific name for making assumptions? There are a lot of crazy scientific terms, so I'm sure there is one for this! Please only leave serious answers, and give me a source too! Thanks

Is there a scientific name for assumptionitis?
Probably not going to get a lot of answers with this in the Botany section, plants don't assume much.





I have heard of 'Intern's Disease', where doctors who are learning start to see symptoms of whatever they are currently studying in themselves. That's not a scientific name though.





There is Hypochondria, a psychological disorder where you think you have illnesses and diseases you do not.





There is Munchhausen's, which is the scientific name even, where you attribute diseases and symptoms to yourself for attention from others. (and sometimes inflict damage on yourself to require medical attention).





There are probably more but that's all I can think of. I think Hypochondria is pretty close to what you are describing.





Hope that helped.


No comments:

Post a Comment